Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Part of the Problem?

You don't always know where you stand
Until you realize that you can't sit down anymore

I wish I could say that I could never just sit quiet
But the truth is
I was able to pretend for a while
I could slink away in the corner
And watch with intent
As money, and time, and emotions are spent
Trying to get those who abstain to express and repent
And those who resist to consider what's at stake, incensed
So that those that are lambasted for using their sense
And for not bending backwards to grant their consent

Consent

There's a concept, right?

Consent to be approached
Consent to be engaged
Consent to be selected

Except in our society, it may as well be

Consent to be encroached
Consent to be enraged
Consent to be disrespected

There used to be an art to be part of this world
An art that alluded me, of course
A dork of sorts with torts to force
Who'd sport ill-fitting shorts, of course
A soul who meant well, but fit ill in this jigsaw
A rolling stone who fell, but rolled onto less moss
Who fell off and got lost
But found itself with both ground and grains embossed
Of a different pattern than those you've come across

This Earth is different
But so desperately wants to relate to you
A hearth beat the same
As it draws out the hate from you
And as it yearns to be free of you
Does it draw a more tragic prison?
Is this a fire drawn to bed?
Or the next phoenix to be risen?

I should note here
I know I'm throwing a lot of extra metaphors and turns of phrase here
Things that probably don't make sense
That's one of the things about drawn out prose like this
It can take on a bunch of extra meanings and interpretations
And you can get away with not really saying anything
By saying a bunch of things in this vague way that makes it seem like
Maybe
Just maybe
I said the right thing
But you just didn't get it
And you want to just leave it as it is
Just in case you would just end up looking silly
If you called out what was clearly a bunch of crap that didn't go far enough

Well, let's try this one a little differently, shall we?

I want to be a good man
And for some reason, that has taken on a lot of different meanings in the recent past
It means, for some, that I'm supposed to speak up when something is wrong
With the hopes of making things right
But it also means, to others, that I should make due with what is
And not complain when the road is tough and the options are light
It means to hold up a historic set of ideals
Like chivalry, strength, and reliability
But it also means being an evolved version of those concepts
And giving way when needed for viability
And showing vulnerable sides, and acknowledging weaknesses and fears
And then snapping back into force, at a moments notice, to persevere
I'm not complaining, though I do remain unclear
Exactly when the mark got to wherever is 'here'

Why lie? I don't know how to do this
I'm at what is hopefully the halfway point of my life
And once again, like in basically every other chapter of my life
I'm waving the white flag
For someone to come and explain to me
As bluntly as desired
What the actual undignified #@$& is going on here
How did we get here?
And will we stay here after?
And I so desperately want to be part of the solutions
But what if I've been part of the problems?

I'm told the worst thing that you can do in a crisis
Is to not know, or not behave like you're actually in a crisis
Well, trust me
No risk there

But now what?

What do I even do, seeing as I only see the avenues from here as 
The ways that I failed yesterday

How do I grab my fellow man and say
"We need to do better"
If I'm only so sure how I personally can do better?
Am I one to teach?
Or do I have far more to learn, far more to earn
Before I can feel just to arise and to preach?

How do any of us know
That the ground we plant our stakes in
Is birthed of dirt and clay and not oil and sand?
How do we trust?
Our family, our friends, our neighbors
Our institutions, our leaders, our saviors
Who can just as easily become
Our cages, or frauds, or enslavers?

(Not talking shit about our personal communities, I'm just saying
Familiarity, loudness and/or confidence do not equal reliability or truthfulness)

How do I find truth?
How do I find reason?
Screw it, how do I find myself in this?

I've never had more intelligence and wisdom at my fingertips and I have found
A reason to doubt basically every single thing from the sea to the air, from wind to ground

And sure, faith counts for something
Until faith itself is misplaced
For I know one of the most dangerous things I've come across
Is a voice that says 'follow me blindly, or all is lost'
But if I ask a question at a time of doubt
At a time to dive in and figure it all out
Am I part of the problem?

God, do I want to be a better man
A man than can acknowledge that, quite possibly, he'll never get everything right
But won't be afraid to be wrong in his fight
Who will trip and stumble endlessly all through the dark
If just one soul that follows behind him reaches the light

Wisdom comes from getting it wrong and passing it along
So others now know better why we got it wrong
Regardless of how you get the best of suggestions
Your answers come from those that asked the first questions

Because as much as I want to know the truth
I'm more focused on finding the current solution
Even if I've been part of the problem

Even if I owe my own personal apology to those that came before us
The mothers, the sisters, the daughters
The neighbors, fellow passengers, nearby travelers
The ones who didn't feel safe
The ones who felt threatened
The ones who were not believed
The ones who fought back and paid the price for it
The ones who were ridiculed
The ones who were belittled and forgotten
The ones who were held responsible for decisions they didn't even make
The ones who made decisions they didn't even believe in but still had to commit to

I'm sorry if I didn't do enough
I'm sorry if I wasn't the ally I always could have been
I'm sorry if I should have spoken up sooner
I'm sorry... I'm just sorry

For the family I have, the ones I've lost sight of, and the ones yet to cross my path
I and the ones I stand for can do more
We will do more
We simply have to

You don't always know where you stand
Until you realize that you can't sit down anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Part of the Problem?

You don't always know where you stand Until you realize that you can't sit down anymore I wish I could say that I could never just s...